FOR AGENCIES AND SCHOOLS
The United Way Day of Caring is a wonderful opportunity for nonprofit agencies and public schools in the greater Charlottesville, Virginia area to showcase what you do and to start relationships with local businesses and volunteers!
If your school or agency has not previously participated, please contact Megan Borishansky.
- Showcase your nonprofit or school to your volunteer team, local businesses and the local community.
- Introduce your mission and build relationships with the volunteer teams; you never know who could be a potential long-term volunteer or potential donor!
- Demonstrate the community partnerships between local agencies and the Volunteer Center at the United Way-Thomas Jefferson Area to help promote volunteerism all year long.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
The United Way Laurence E. Richardson Day of Caring is an incredible opportunity to tackle large and small projects at your agency or school. You might use a volunteer team to interact with your clients or students, paint or do repair work, or landscape your agencies’ grounds. Use your imagination and the resources on this web site to help you develop creative, worthwhile projects that volunteers will enjoy.
To participate in the United Way Day of Caring, an agency must:
- Be a non-profit 501(c)(3) or government agency.
- Have a project that meets a real need and is meaningful for volunteers.
- Submit projects for individuals (such as home repair for an elderly resident) through a caseworker or sponsoring agency such as AHIP or JABA.
- Submit projects that can be completed in 4-8 hours.
- Provide liability insurance to cover volunteers during the United Way Day of Caring.
- Supply materials for the projects (some materials may be brought by the volunteers, but projects with materials provided by the agency are more likely to be selected).
- Have a responsible and trusted person to plan the project and to be on hand to oversee the volunteers on the United Way Day of Caring.
- Review the Agency Manual for additional details.